Our friend and renowned chef, Akasha Richmond created a few delicious recipes for our 30th anniversary. Add some curry hints to your organic cauliflower with these pakoras and spiced syrup recipe. Serve atop a toasted Chia Plus Waffle to complete the meal.
For the cauliflower:
- 1 head cauliflower, (at least one pound), cut into 36 or more 2-inch florets
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the pakoras:
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons garbanzo flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 fresh Serrano chile pepper, minced with seeds
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 quart oil for deep frying
- Chat masala for garnish
- One box Nature’s Path Chia Plus Waffles
For the spiced syrup
- 1 ½ cups maple syrup
- 8 black peppercorns
- 8 whole cardamom pods
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Cheesecloth and kitchen string
Make the syrup the day before:
- Add the spices to the cheesecloth.
- Gather it up, and tie with the kitchen twine.
- Add the maple syrup and spice packet to a saucepan.
- Heat over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour the syrup with the spice packet into a container.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Remove the spice packet.
To make the pakoras:
- Place the cauliflower in a bowl and toss with the salt, chile flakes and pepper.
- Set aside while you make the batter. Sift the garbanzo flour into a bowl.
- Add the cilantro, chile pepper, salt, coriander, garam masala and baking soda.
- Slowly whisk in the water to make a batter of pancake consistency.
- Add the cauliflower florets.
- Over medium high heat in a large, heavy saucepan, heat the oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Coating well as you go, fry the cauliflower in small batches until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and let cool. Smash each fritter to flatten.
- Refry the fritters for 1 to 2 minutes, until lightly browned and crisp.
- The second fry is what makes the fritters very crispy.
- Sprinkle with chat masala before serving.
To serve: Cut each waffle into 4 pieces.
- Bake on a cookie sheet at 350° for 5 minutes.
- Warm the syrup before you pour it over the waffles.
- Place one fritter on each waffle and drizzle with syrup. Or serve the syrup on the side.