We're all getting in the mood for summer barbeques (any day now!), so cook up these delicious veggie burgers with leftover juice pulp and a handful of heritage flakes for crunch.
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 1/2 cup packed grated carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (19 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegetable juice pulp purée
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp egg replacer
- 1 cup Nature’s Path Heritage Flakes, finely crushed in food processor
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 Whole Grain buns
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in skillet set over medium heat.
- Add carrot, onion, red pepper, garlic, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cool completely.
- Add vegetable mixture, 1 1/2 cups black beans, juice pulp and lime juice to food processor.
- Sprinkle in egg replacer.
- Pulse until combined.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Mix in remaining beans, Heritage Flakes and cilantro until combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 1/2-cup portions.
- Shape into 1-inch thick patties.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat.
- Cook patties in batches for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and heated through.
- Place patties on prepared baking tray and bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until slightly firm and crusted.
Serve patties in buns with desired toppings.
Tip: For a true fiesta flare, top Veggie Burgers with Tex Mex condiments such as salsa, guacamole and pickled jalapenos.
Per 1/4 recipe:
- Calories 410
- Fat 13g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 1050mg
- Carbohydrate 60g
- Fibre 13g
- Sugars 7g
- Protein 13g